Until the Half Tide Lock Weir and Footbridge at Richmond was opened in 1894 the water level of the River Thames could drop during a long summer.
?The ‘Half Lock’ enabled the river to be used for recreation at all times and a number of gentlemen’s clubs were formed. Twickenham became a popular venue for rowing, cruising and dinghy sailing and Twickenham Yacht Club was formed in 1897 as The Swan Sailing Club meeting at the White Swan in in Old Palace Lane Richmond.
By 1910 the Swan Sailing Club had moved across the river to the Phoenix, a public house in Orleans Road, Twickenham which was forced to close during the Great War in 1916. The members moved to the White Swan, Twickenham where they merged with the Twickenham Sailing Club. The present club house became available in 1924 when the Club finally became the Twickenham Yacht Club.