We, the Shepton Mallet Caving Club (SMCC), are a Mendip based caving club which was founded in March 1949.
As a Mendip-based club, in the 1960s and 70s it was at the forefront in the cave diving exploration of Swildon’s Hole, progressively downstream to Sump 12 and involved in pushing the exploration of many other extremities of the cave.
The Club was equally active with the exploration of St Cuthbert’s Swallet, including passing the sump in October 1969 and over the decades to present day regularly “dug” at many surface features.
Off Mendip, since 1970, it has made a significant contribution in the exploration of lava tubes throughout the world, which continues to the present. In more recent years it has been involved in the exploration of the limestone caves of Thailand. Click here for more information about the Thailand explorations.
On Mendip it has a fully functional HQ at The Mineries (also the last surviving St Cuthbert’s Leadworks building) including limited camping space. We are also the closest caving club to The Hunters.