Pen Park Hole is a large cavern situated underground, at the edge of Filton Golf Course. The cavern was discovered accidentally in the 17th Century and the first descent was made by Captain Sturmy in 1669. The entrance is adjacent to the Southmead and Brentry housing estates of north Bristol.
Pen Park Hole is the name given to a large natural cave located on the edge of Southmead in Bristol, not far from Filton airfield and close to Filton Golf Course. The entrance can be found at NGR ST 5852 7921 and is protected by a locked steel lid.This site has been put together to give better access to information about this unusual and important cave. Although the cave has been known for many hundreds of years, having been first explored as early as 1669, it is, perhaps, not as well known as it should be. Its position, in the midst of a residential area, means that access has to be controlled for safety reasons and the fact that it is located a long way from popular caving area of the Mendip Hills means that it is not often visited by cavers.