Museum of Barnstaple and North Devon is a local museum covering the history and culture of the North Devon area and which is located in The Square in Barnstaple in Devon. The displays range from prehistoric times to the Victorian era. The building and its garden railings beside the river front have been Grade II listed since 1988.
The structure was built in 1872 for William Thorne, but sold to the Barnstaple Bridge Trust in 1876 who then sold it to William Frederick Rock. Constructed in red brick with dressings of stone and terracotta, the hipped and slated roof has a flat central section which is set with ornamental iron railings together with 5 red brick chimneys with stone caps. The building is square and is built round an internal courtyard with on the right on the building's North side a small service wing which may actually be a former coach-house with a walled courtyard behind.
Inside is a fine wooden staircase in the Jacobean style with twisted balusters and large carved newels with a Gothic stone fireplace in the entrance hall. Behind the building on the river front there is a small garden enclosed by iron railings having spearhead uprights and standards; these railings form part of the listed status for the property. The gate piers and gates with the bases of dolphin lamp posts adjacent to the building are separately listed.