Tickets for Mamertine Prison + Video.
One of our BESTSELLERS.
- Access to the Mamertine Prison
- Video guide
Rome’s oldest prison and you get to visit! The Via dei Fori Imperiali allows you to walk in the footsteps of shunned emperors and kings and learn about the actions of St. Peter who was once imprisoned at Mamertine. Legend says he made water appear from the rocks and then used it for religious purposes including to baptize other inmates. Quite a fascinating tour this one and the accompanying video guide will give you more information on the history.
Mamertine Prison Opening Hours
Daily: 09:00 – 17:00
Mamertine Prison Interesting Facts
- Its suggested (but not known as a fact) that Saints Peter and Paul may have been held in this prison.
- Its thought the prison dates back as far as 7BC and was in use possibly as late as 4AD!
- Where executions took place at Mamertine Prison, its said they then used the Tiber River to remove the bodies.
- The Mamertine Prison is located around a 1-minute walk from the Roman Forum and the dungeons of the prison can be accessed via a winding staircase near.
- Mamertine Prison also know as Carcer Tullianum and was split into two levels. The Carcer and the Tullianum.