Knockhill Racing Circuit is a motor racing circuit in Fife, Scotland. It opened in September 1974 and is Scotland’s national motorsport centre. The circuit is located in the countryside about 6 miles (10 km) north of Dunfermline.
The circuit opened in September 1974. It was created by joining service roads to a nearby disused mineral railway, closed in 1951, which served Lethans Colliery. The first car race was held on 18 May 1975.
Between 1974 and 1983 the circuit had several different owners which helped to steadily develop the circuit’s facilities and attractions. Derek Butcher became the owner in 1984 and since then Knockhill has been developed to a point where it is able to host rounds of most of the major British car and motorbike championships. The circuit hosted a round of the British Touring Car Championships for twelve years until the deal ended in 2002 with the promoters seeking infrastructure upgrades.Knockhill made improvements and the touring car series returned to Knockhill in 2004 with ITV televising the event live. The British Formula Three Championship and British GT Championship returned to Knockhill in May 2005.
In 2008, Knockhill named a corner Leslie’s Bend in the honour of race car driver David Leslie shortly after his death in a small jet aircraft-accident at Farnborough.
In 2012, the circuit restarted racing and track days in the counter-clockwise direction. It gained a licence for motorbikes and cars to compete in both directions, the first racing circuit to achieve this in the UK in modern times.