The Horniman Museum and Gardens is a museum in Forest Hill, London, England. Commissioned in 1898, it opened in 1901 and was designed by Charles Harrison Townsend in the Arts and Crafts style. It has displays of anthropology, natural history and musical instruments, and is known for its large collection of taxidermied animals.
The museum is set in 16 acres (65,000 m2) of gardens, which include the following features:
A Grade II listed conservatory from 1894 which was moved from Horniman's family house in Croydon to the present site in the 1980s.
A bandstand from 1912
An enclosure for small animals
A Butterfly House
A nature trail
An ornamental garden
Plants for materials; medicines; foods and dyes
A sound garden with large musical instruments for playing
A new building, the Pavilion, for working on materials that are outside of the collections, such as from the gardens.