At Fairlynch Museum there's masses to see But that's not a problem 'cause all of it's free! [99% of it anyway; donations always welcome.
Fairlynch is open from Easter to end of October, also Autumn half term. This Community Page is open to anyone with an interest in the history and development of?Budleigh Salterton and the Lower Otter Valley as recorded by Fairlynch Museum and Arts Centre.
Fairlynch occupies an imposing position on a bank overlooking the junction of Fore Street and Marine Parade in the East Devon coastal town of Budleigh Salterton. It is one of the very few thatched museums in the UK.
The building is a typical example of a 'marine cottage orn?' and is Grade II listed. It was built by a local shipowner Matthew Yeates around 1811.
The Museum started with the collection of period costumes gathered by Budleigh residents the Misses Gawne, together with the many geological specimens amassed by local archaeologist George Carter. It opened on 27 July 1967, with Priscilla Hull his daughter as its first Chairman.
As well as its impressive displays of costumes and lace, Fairlynch has rare items of railway memorabilia. The Museum has excellent facilities for studying the local history of Budleigh Salterton and the Lower Otter Valley.