St Ives Town Council received Ingle Holt from GW Wright Ingle in 1934 it was originally intended for it to be a riverside park with shrubs and flower beds. This idea was thankfully quietly abandoned and most of the Island was locked up for years, leaving nature to run riot.
Local government reorganisation in 1974 meant it was subsequently inherited by HDC, who remain its owners to this day, managing it as Holt Island Nature Reserve, along with Wilhorn Meadow and The Thicket, under their
Countryside Services division.
The Holt Island Nature Reserve represents 7 acres of peace and tranquility right on the edge of St Ives. The island is open to the public most weekends and Bank Holidays from April until the end of September.